Articles on this Page
- 02/28/16--10:23: _Editor's Notebook: ...
- 03/06/16--04:00: _Editors Roundtable:...
- 03/08/16--07:26: _Editor's Note: Camp...
- 03/13/16--04:30: _Editors Roundtable:...
- 03/28/16--06:22: _Editor's Notebook: ...
- 03/29/16--08:20: _Editor's Notebook: ...
- 04/04/16--08:39: _Editors Roundtable:...
- 04/07/16--08:04: _Editor's Notebook: ...
- 04/10/16--05:47: _Editorial: Communit...
- 04/16/16--14:55: _Editor's Notebook: ...
- 04/17/16--03:00: _Editors Roundtable:...
- 04/24/16--06:00: _Editors Roundtable:...
- 05/02/16--11:01: _Editorial: Galesbur...
- 05/08/16--06:00: _Editors Roundtable:...
- 05/22/16--05:30: _Editors Roundtable:...
- 05/29/16--07:00: _Editor's Notebook: ...
- 05/29/16--06:00: _Editors Roundtable:...
- 06/05/16--06:00: _Editors Roundtable:...
- 06/10/16--09:56: _Editorial: Landowne...
- 06/14/16--11:04: _Editorial: Hate, te...
- 02/28/16--10:23: Editor's Notebook: District 74 forum drew large audience
- 03/06/16--04:00: Editors Roundtable: Most important race on ballot?
- 03/08/16--07:26: Editor's Note: Campaign letters deadline Thursday
- 03/13/16--04:30: Editors Roundtable: Opinion of Illinois primary system
- 03/28/16--06:22: Editor's Notebook: Seeking top GHS grads for news series
- 03/29/16--08:20: Editor's Notebook: Seeking top grads for news series
- 04/04/16--08:39: Editors Roundtable: Battery charge against Trump manager
- 04/07/16--08:04: Editor's Notebook: What's up with lead in the water?
- 04/10/16--05:47: Editorial: Community effort needed to address lead
- 04/17/16--03:00: Editors Roundtable: Response to lead from local officials
- 04/24/16--06:00: Editors Roundtable: Remove lifeguards from Lake Storey Beach?
- 05/02/16--11:01: Editorial: Galesburg is not Flint Jr.
- 05/08/16--06:00: Editors Roundtable: About Trump's candidacy now
- 05/22/16--05:30: Editors Roundtable: Allow students to choose bathroom?
- 05/29/16--07:00: Editor's Notebook: A look at the people behind the awards
- 05/29/16--06:00: Editors Roundtable: Importance of Clinton's email server finding
- 06/05/16--06:00: Editors Roundtable: Pay freeze for teachers?
- 06/10/16--09:56: Editorial: Landowners get a win from Supreme Court
- 06/14/16--11:04: Editorial: Hate, terrorism and politics
We had a strong turnout at Thursday’s candidate forum at Carl Sandburg College. Thanks to the 150 people who came out to see Republican candidates Mike DeSutter, Wayne Saline and Dan Swanson answer questions from Register-Mail reporters Marty Hobe and Ben Zigterman and Sandburg student Seairra Sheppard. Another 260 watched a live stream of the event at sandburg.edu.The three candidates are running to be the GOP nominee for District 74 state representative. The winner in the [...]
What race on the March 15 ballot is the most important to voters in Galesburg and why?
The Register-Mail encourages local letters to the editor regarding the upcoming election. As is policy, we will observe a grace period during the final days before the March 15 election. All letters regarding the election must be received by noon Thursday, March 10, at The Register-Mail. Email them to email@example.com or bring them to the office at 140 S. Prairie St., Galesburg. The final letters will publish in Friday's edition. In order to make space for letters, the Community [...]
What's your opinion of the primary system/setup in Illinois?
We're attempting to track the top 5 percent of Galesburg High School graduates from 1990, 1995, 2000, 2005 and 2010.
It's commonly thought that rural areas lose their best and brightest young people to the greater opportunity found in urban areas. The occurrence is referred to as brain drain: The emigration of highly trained or intelligent people from a particular country or region.The Register-Mail has decided to find out to what extent we are losing our top high school graduates to other areas. It seems an important question to answer, given the challenges to our small city and the growing [...]
What is your take on Donald Trump’s campaign manager being charged with battery for grabbing a reporter Michelle Fields and leaving bruises on her arm?
An Associated Press investigation into public water systems nationwide has targeted Galesburg as a city with a lead problem. It also points to an above average incidence of lead poisoning among children in Knox County. For Saturday’s edition we’ll use the results of that investigation to further explore the issue of lead in local tap water, explaining the cause and city response. Due to test results in 2015, the city was required by the Environmental Protection [...]
Part of the solution here is making sure those impacted understand the dangers and the options available to them.
So our "brain drain" project is taking shape. The project seeks to find out how many of the top Galesburg High School graduates leave the city and don’t return. We’ve targeted the top 5 percent of graduates, based on grade point average, every five years starting in 1990 and going through 2010.We hope to look at why top graduates left or stayed — what are the factors — and find out what would keep or draw such people [...]
How well do you believe the city and county officials have responded to the reports of lead exposure in Knox County?
Should the city open the beach at Lake Storey and remove lifeguards?
The lead story in Galesburg never deserved national attention and will continue long after the national spotlight flickers and dims.
Now that he's the presumptive GOP nominee for president, what do you make of Donald Trump's candidacy going forward?
What do you think of President Barack Obama's order that schools allow transgender students to pick their own bathroom or risk losing federal dollars? This never needed to be politicalI imagine those who are transgender were already using the restroom they were most comfortable with. Now, suddenly we're all paying attention to who is using what bathroom. People should choose the appropriate bathroom for themselves and both sides [...]
We announced May 21 The Register-Mail's first ever Newspaper of the Year award from GateHouse. It's a big honor for the newsroom, and we're developing plans to celebrate this accomplishment with the community in June.
How important is the State Department's report regarding Hillary Clinton's use of a private server for email?Finding adds to Clinton trustworthiness issueI'm not sure many voters were on the fence regarding Hillary's use of a private email server. They'd likely made up their minds already. But this assures the issue will dog her through the campaign. The State Department's report made it clear that Clinton did not follow direction regarding [...]
Should District 205 teachers agree to a pay freeze if the state is does not provide school funding?
The U.S. Supreme Court has given landowners a way to fight back if they feel government bureaucratic decisions are unfair or flawed.That is good news.The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers could determine that certain areas are regulated by the Clean Water Act, leaving the owners no choice but to go through lengthy and costly processes to receive permits for projects they might want to carry out on their own land.The landowners in those cases had no right to appeal the Corps' decision, [...]
Once again, mass violence has taken the lives of innocents, this time at a nightclub in Orlando, Florida. As has happened too often these last few years — at the Boston Marathon in 2012, a Colorado movie theater a few months later, a church in Charleston, South Carolina a year ago, an office party in San Bernardino, California last December — blood has been shed and we struggle to understand why. Do we blame radical ideology? Mental illness? Guns? Bigotry? All of the above?As in Boston, [...]