- RSS Channel Showcase 6262536
- RSS Channel Showcase 2471070
- RSS Channel Showcase 9008331
- RSS Channel Showcase 9905533
Articles on this Page
- 04/15/18--13:33: _Editor's Notebook: ...
- 04/25/18--09:06: _Editor's Notebook: ...
- 06/27/18--05:00: _Editor seeking read...
- 07/08/18--06:00: _Another View: Trump...
- 07/09/18--20:47: _Editor's Notebook: ...
- 07/25/18--05:30: _Editor's Notebook: ...
- 08/05/18--06:00: _Editor's Notebook: ...
- 04/15/18--13:33: Editor's Notebook: Galesburg an 'unassuming slice' of heartland
- 04/25/18--09:06: Editor's Notebook: Coffee with the editor Thursday
- 06/27/18--05:00: Editor seeking reader feedback
- 07/08/18--06:00: Another View: Trump shouldn’t ease up on Russia sanctions
- 07/09/18--20:47: Editor's Notebook: Thanks for support in light of newsroom shooting
- 07/25/18--05:30: Editor's Notebook: Visit R-M staff at Taste of Galesburg
- 08/05/18--06:00: Editor's Notebook: Was Bill Higgins' letter over the edge?
A story by Eric Shawn of Fox News was sent to me by many readers over the past week. And why not? Galesburg was in the headline of a national story about Russians hacking our “voter rolls.”The story is rather alarming, about how Russian hackers gained access to the voter database in Illinois, including the information of 14,121 [...]
Readers, I’ll be at Hy-Vee, 2030 East Main, from 9 to 10 a.m. Thursday, April 26.This is my fourth coffee hour out in the community this year. I did three in March — at Henderson Street Hy-Vee, Beanhive and Innkeeper’s Coffee — and met several nice people. This is basically a listening tour for me to find out how we can better connect to readers.• What do you like about The Register-Mail?• What do you dislike about The Register- [...]
Come visit me Thursday or Friday morning. It’s been April since I held coffee hours in the community, so I’m planning one at 8:30 a.m. Thursday at Hy-Vee on Henderson Street and another at 8:30 a.m. Friday at Delinos’ Italian Deli and Bakery, 319 E. Main St. I’ll stay one hour at each location.The purpose is to meet with members of the community and hear what you think about The Register-Mail. I’m glad to meet with subscribers as [...]
Unlike his Singapore one-on-one with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, President Donald Trump's summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin, slated for July 16 in Helsinki, doesn't suggest history in the making. Trump and Putin have already met — twice. Russian and American leaders have been meeting for decades. By contrast, no U.S. president ever had met a North Korean leader.Yet a sense of suspense hangs over the Trump-Putin summit. Or is it dread?There's always merit [...]
Last week journalists at The Register-Mail mourned the deaths of five people in the Capital Gazette newsroom in Annapolis, Maryland. There, a man with an apparent grudge against the newspaper came into the newsroom and opened fire, according to police. Jarrod W. Ramos has been arrested for the killings. A letter from Ramos sent to the newspaper’s attorney that day said he intended to kill everyone in the newsroom.Staying true to its mission, The Capital Gazette printed its [...]
The Register-Mail is once again a title sponsor of the Taste of Galesburg event, which runs from 4 to 10:30 p.m. Thursday on Simmons Street downtown. It’s one of the city’s top events each summer with food from more than 20 area restaurants, kids activities and live music.Publisher David Adams and members of the newsroom (Jay Redfern, Robyn Gautschy, Robert Connelly, Tom Loewy, myself and others) will have a booth and invite people to stop by while at the event. Looks [...]
Bill Higgins wrote a local letter last week that included references to former President Barack Obama’s race and religion. Specifically, Higgins wrote that Obama is “neither totally black nor African-American and he's Muslim even though he claimed to be a Christian.”Race and religion are highly charged issues. I stopped and read the section twice. Higgins seemed to be using our former president’s race (that he’s not fully African-American) and [...]